1) HELP US COVER THE ESSENTIALS
Often times, teens come to us without basic items such as good shoes, warm coats, or an adequate supply of underwear and socks. Donations of basic items are appreciated — or gift cards to stores where these necessities can be purchased.
- New clothing especially plain t-shirts, pajamas, hoodies, or winter clothes and accessories (12-22 years of age — boys and girls)- coats, gloves, scarfs, hats, beanies
- Shoes: rubber flip flops, tennis shoes and/ or boots (12-22 years of age — boys and girls)
- New socks, bras, boxers, and underwear
- Twin quilts and blankets (sturdy fabric, 1 3/4 x 3 yards)
- School supplies: backpacks, pencils, folders, notebooks, pens, and paper
- Newly-release DVD movies rated G or PG
- MP3 players or IPod
- Current teen appropriate books, comic books, video games, journals, and board games
- Gift cards: Target, Wal-Mart, Michael’s, Barnes and Noble, Payless Shoes, Smith’s Food & Drug, Subway, McDonalds, etc.
- Movies theater tickets
- New bath towels and wash cloths
- Craft items and art supplies- crayons, coloring books, etc.
- Event tickets for plays, concerts, sporting events, outdoor/family recreational activities
- Wallets, watches, belts, jewelry gift sets
- Body wash sets, lotion, makeup kits, hairbrushes, combs, hair clips
- Toys such as model and remote control cars, airplanes, Lego® sets, and/or puzzles
Donations are accepted during normal business hours at the following location:
Salt Lake County Youth Services
177 W. Price Avenue (3610 S.)
Salt Lake City, UT 84115
2) VOLUNTEER YOUR TIME OR TALENTS
ShelterKids and the Salt Lake County Division of Youth Services offer two types of volunteering services:
- Individual or group volunteers who want direct interaction and participate during daily programs at Youth Services. Volunteers will help assist with the supervision of youth, help plan activities, organize parties, and/or simply provide a listening ear. Volunteers can also share special talents or skills with the youth.
- Corporate or individual sponsors who want to contribute can donate time or resources for the community reintegration program which includes activities such as an arts, entertainment, recreational outings, or social gatherings.
To become a volunteer for the Salt Lake County Youth Services, please visit www.youth.slco.org, and go to the volunteer page for more information, or contact us at
PLEASE NOTE: A background check is required.